The historic Shipman House with Victorian splendor.
Shipman House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Where interesting people stay... A magnificently-restored Victorian mansion (one of Hawaii's last) and 1910 guesthouse are set on 5 acres of lush gardens, lawns, orchard and jungle. Strictly non-smoking. National Register.
: 808-934-8002 : 800-627-8447
131 Kaiulani Street
Hilo, HI 96720
View map of area
Aloha! Stay in Hilo...one of Hawaii's last real towns...with a beloved kama`aina family. Experience true Hawaiian Hospitality.
Born and raised in Hawaii, Barbara is the fourth Shipman generation to live in the 1899 home. In 1993, she and her husband returned to Hilo to purchase and lovingly restore it. Barbara and Gary continue the Shipman tradition of hospitality as they invite you into their historic home and guesthouse, sharing memories and family anecdotes of Old Hawaii with you.
Play the Steinway piano Hawaii's last queen, Lili`uokalani, played, as you gaze at Hilo Bay through curved windows of hand-rolled glass. Walk barefoot on honey-colored fir floors under 12-foot ceilings. Peruse the travel books of a century ago from a comfy library chair. Fall asleep on a porch rocker, or stroll downtown to buy an armful of tropical flowers at the farmers' market. Explore the grounds. Enjoy hula on the verandah...or have a lesson.
This is Old Hawaii...where interesting people stay.
Aloha, Barbara Ann & Gary Andersen
- On Reed's Island between Rainbow Falls and Hilo Bay, 5 blocks to downtown Hilo, 10 minutes to Hilo airport, 45 minutes to Volcanoes National Park, Waipio Valley or Mauna Kea's star-gazing.
- All 5 rooms are among Hilo's largest B&B guest rooms, with 10'-12' ceilings; modern, private baths with showers and tubs; small refrigerators, fresh tropical flowers, soft cotton kimonos, and heirloom furnishings.
MAUKA ROOM and MAKAI ROOM, our largest rooms, are upstairs in the guesthouse, with private entrances, private baths, window seats, ceiling fans, and queen beds with koa headboards from the bed author Jack London slept in. They share a screened lanai. Each can sleep 3.
FLOSSIE'S is on the first floor of the main house, with twin koa beds and ceiling fans. Shower/tub with grabbars. Library adjacent. Opens onto wrap-around verandah. Can sleep 3.
AUNTIE CLARA'S SHELL ROOM is upstairs, with 4-poster queen bed, day bed, koa furniture, shell collection, and outstanding view of Hilo Bay. Private bath is adjacent in hall, with clawfoot tub and glass shower. Can sleep 3.
AUNTIE CARRIE'S ROOM is upstairs, 1/3 of original ballroom, overlooking the expansive side yard. Queen-size koa bed. Bath ensuite. Porch adjacent. Cool evening air.
- Rates are quoted at double occupancy, single night rates, before taxes.
Auntie Clara's Shell Room is $249.
Flossie's and Makai rooms are each $219.
Auntie Carrie's and Mauka rooms are each $229.
Please add $35/night per extra person.
We have a 2-night minimum stay.
- Breakfast is a glorious celebration of Island foods, served outside on the lanai with a view of Hilo Bay beyond the fern- and palm-lined gulch. Feast on fruits backyard-fresh, macadamia nut granola, fruit juice and smoothies, breads or rolls, and Kona coffee or exotic teas. Sometimes we serve breadfruit. We try to accommodate special diets with sufficient notice.
- Wrap-around verandah; extensive grounds with mature trees; a book-lover's library; Steinway grand piano; porch rocking chairs; impressive collection of Asian and Hawaiian antiques and fine art. Self-guided tour of house. Picnic and beach gear, binoculars, maps, umbrellas. Complimentary wireless in both houses. Free parking on site.
Detached Suite(s) Innkeeper onsite Internet Access On-site Activities Private Bath Queen Bed
- A refund, less 5%, will be given for cancellations made 2 weeks or more before the reserved date. Cancellations made within 2 weeks of the reserved date will get the refund IF we are able to rebook the accommodations.
American Express Cash Master Card Traveler's Check Visa
: Barbara Ann & Gary
131 Kaiulani Street
Have you stayed with us?
Have you stayed at Shipman House Bed and Breakfast Inn? Hawaii Bed & Breakfast Association would like to know about your experience. Please use the form below to tell us about your stay with Shipman House Bed and Breakfast Inn. Your comments will be sent to the association as well as to the inn-keeper.
Please do not include any urls in your message. Domains should be written as www.site-dot-com. Fields with * are required.
This listing has been viewed 38997 times. Modified: 06/07/2012